In recent weeks, a surge of concern has swept through Ghana regarding the escalating cost of dialysis, an essential medical treatment for individuals suffering from kidney failure. This spike, particularly evident at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, has seen the cost per session surge by over 100%, soaring from GH₵ 380.00 to GH₵ 765.42. The repercussions of this financial strain on patients unable to bear the burden have been dire, resulting in tragic consequences. This issue has prompted nephrologists to address not only the economic aspect but also the lifestyle choices that may contribute to chronic kidney diseases.
The Link between Lifestyle and Kidney Health
Consultant Nephrologist at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Dr. Elliot Koranteng Tannor, has shed light on a significant concern: the sedentary lifestyle and misuse of certain medications among Ghanaians. These factors predispose individuals to chronic kidney diseases, compounding the challenges faced by those already genetically predisposed. Of particular note is the excessive use of painkillers and alcohol, leading to acute kidney deterioration.
Dr. Tannor emphasizes the need for a more comprehensive approach to pain management. Rather than resorting to extended use of painkillers, it is imperative to address the root cause of discomfort. This proactive approach not only alleviates pain but also safeguards kidney health.
Understanding Chronic Kidney Disease
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a progressive condition characterized by the gradual loss of kidney function over an extended period. In Ghana, CKD affects approximately 13.3% of adults. Recognizing the early signs, including leg swelling, fatigue, vomiting, and loss of appetite, is crucial for timely intervention.
Herbal Concoctions: A Hazard to Kidney Health
A concerning trend contributing to the rising prevalence of kidney disease in Ghana is the unregulated sale of herbal concoctions, particularly those marketed as aphrodisiacs. While these products may serve their intended purpose, they pose a significant threat to kidney function. Dr. Tannor emphasizes that the continuous use of such concoctions places undue stress on the kidneys, diminishing their resilience.
Affordable Alternatives to Dialysis
For many, the cost of dialysis is a staggering financial burden. It’s estimated that a minimum of GH₵6,000 per month is required for this life-sustaining treatment. However, there are steps individuals can take to potentially avoid this expense.
Expert-Recommended Practices for Kidney Health
The United States National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases offers valuable insights on maintaining optimal kidney health:
1) Healthy Eating Habits
- Opt for a diverse array of spices in lieu of excessive salt.
- Incorporate nutritious toppings like spinach, broccoli, and peppers on dishes like pizza.
- Choose baking or broiling over frying for meats and fish.
- Opt for foods without heavy gravies or excess fats.
- Gradually transition to lower-fat milk options.
- Integrate whole grains into daily meals.
2) Physical Activity as a Daily Routine
- Engage in at least 30 minutes of activity most days.
- Elevate activity levels with simple lifestyle adjustments.
3) Achieving and Maintaining a Healthy Weight
- Collaborate with healthcare professionals to establish a realistic weight-loss plan if necessary.
4) Prioritize Quality Sleep
- Aim for 7 to 8 hours of restorative sleep each night.
5) Abstain from Smoking
- For those who smoke or use tobacco products, cessation is crucial.
6) Moderate Alcohol Consumption
- Keep alcohol intake within recommended limits to mitigate potential health risks.
7) Stress Management Techniques
- Cultivate practices to effectively manage stress for improved emotional and physical well-being.
8) Managing Underlying Conditions
- For individuals with conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease, adherence to prescribed medical regimens is paramount.
Dr. Tannor underscores the potential for hypertensive and diabetic patients to maintain healthy kidneys through lifestyle choices. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables, coupled with caution regarding medications, can significantly influence kidney health.
In conclusion, a multifaceted approach is essential in safeguarding kidney health. By addressing lifestyle choices, embracing healthy habits, and seeking professional guidance, individuals can take proactive steps toward optimal kidney function.